Management of Chronic Disease
Why do we hear so much about Chronic Disease now? The most important thing to understand is that we are living longer now. As we age so do our organs. Our Brain, Heart, Lungs, Kidneys, and other organs can wear out much like any other working parts such as an engine. So if you live long enough, you may have to learn to manage Chronic Illnesses.
A Chronic Disease Diagnosis should not mean the end of your independence, comfort or your enjoyment. Working with your physician and Gallagher Home Health Services’ Advanced Care Team will help you navigate the often confusing Health Care Systems to ensure that your Chronic Illness is managed well for your improved Quality of Life in the comfort of your own home.
What are the most common Chronic Illnesses you may face?
- Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COPD)
- Heart Disease
There are some things we can do to reduce our risk level for developing certain Chronic Illnesses. Some suggestions are listed here:
- Eat Healthy
- Quit Smoking
- Get Regular Exercise
- Avoid Excessive Drinking
- Get Early and regular Screenings
- Get Sufficient Sleep
So if you have done some or all of the above and you still develop a Chronic Illness, what do you do now?
- First stay in touch with your physician and follow his/her directions regarding your medication, activity, diet and appointments.
- Know your symptoms and keep track of those things that make your symptoms worse.
- We sometimes refer to this as your “Triggers.” For instance, on a hot, humid day, you know that your asthma is going to cause shortness of breath if you spend time outside or eating the good ‘ole Pittsburgh Hoagie is going to cause your Blood sugar to go sky high. Being aware of what “triggers” your symptoms can help you control your illness.
- Reach out to Gallagher Home Health Services for help. We can provide many levels of assistance in managing your Chronic Illness. We will work closely with your physician to help manage your symptoms and provide you with an improved quality of life. While Chronic Illness is not generally curable, there is much we can do to prevent your symptoms from getting out of control.
- Nursing assessments
- Education about your medications, your condition and your overall well being
- Performance of Lab work, Wound care, Respiratory Treatments, Infusion Therapy
- Palliative Care program led by Timothy Campbell, MD to provide relief from symptoms and return to your highest level of function
- Telehealth Program to connect you to us and your physician providing a higher level of contact and data collection
- Physical Therapy in your home for Balance, Endurance, Strengthening
- Occupational Therapy in your home for Assistance with Bathing, Dressing, Grooming and Activities of Daily Living.
- Speech Therapy in your home for Exercise to improve cognition, speech and memory
- Medical Social Workers to coordinate Community Services, Counseling, and more
- Private Duty Assistance for Personal Care, Light Housekeeping, Companionship
If you or a loved one has been Diagnosed or has symptoms of a Chronic Illness, feel free to reach out to Gallagher Home Health Services at 412-279-7800. We will answer your questions and help you find the best level of care for you and your family.